Monday, December 19, 2005

The Scoop

It is official.

I gave my two weeks notice this morning. Which is actually two weeks plus I will work half days at my current job and half days at my new job for a week after that. I have been a nervous wreck about it. It is a bittersweet situation. I have been at my current job for more than 7 years. I've cut my professional teeth in this job. Yes, I had jobs before this one but this is where I have been since I was 21. It was my first "real" job. This is kind of where I've learned to be a grown up. It is a wonderful job and I love what I do about 38 of the 45 hours I work in an average week. I love my boss and his family. I really enjoy working with our clients and for the most part, I like the real estate business.

Why, you ask, am I leaving this job? Money. Stress. Family (wanting to having one, that is).

I have been offered a position working for my father (who owns a manufacturing company) as his executive secretary. It will be more money from the get go with worlds more potential for growth (read: more money) in the long term. There will be more flexibility, more opportunities and less stress. After the miscarriage a few weeks ago, my doctor told me that the stress in my life was most likely a factor. I guess that was sort of the last strike. When my father called last week and offered me this position, I was torn at first but really, I knew in my heart immediately what my decision would be.

So this morning I gave my notice. We have a miniature planning meeting every Monday morning at 7:30 a.m. to talk about where we are on projects and what we have going on for the week. I gave him my notice first thing this morning. I was able to recommend someone to him who can potentially take my place and I wanted to give him all day to mull it over and maybe talk to her. He is interviewing her now. I am hopeful that they will hit it off because I would feel a lot better about the transition if I had an opportunity to train someone. I like my boss and I don't want to leave him in the lurch. Did I mention he is going on vacation for two weeks starting Wednesday? Yeah, not the best timing.

No knitting news. Well, not really. I finished the fun fur scarf over the weekend and cast on for a project that has been rattling around in my brain for a while. Yes, I cast on in utter disregard for the fact that I still have Christmas knitting to finish. I did a little shopping at lunch today. I finally found something for my HP and I also bought a couple of things for his stocking.

Thanks for your good thoughts. It actually went more smoothly than I expected, and I didn't even cry. Which is practically a miracle because I am kind of a crier.

Bad news: The digital camera has gone amiss. I think I am going to have to send the little dog out on some convert ops to find it. No pictures today. Boo-whoo.


Rhett said...

Congratulations on the new job! That is so exciting. What a small world. My dad owns his own business too and I grew up working in it for 13 summers. I didn't make it my career b/c my brother wanted to do that and there was only enough room for one of us right now. Since the business is a farm, I gave it to the bro. :)

I loved the work and hope that you will have the same experience. Better work, Better life, Better family! YEA KRISTY!!

Thanks for letting me know... I was anxiously awaiting. I even called Stephanie to let her know you were expecting news on your website :)

Good luck and again, Congrats!

ann said...

it sounds like you have made the right decision, and that you are taking extra care to leave your old position in the best way possible. Best of luck with your new job!!

amandamonkey said...

congrats, Kristy. You definitely are making the best decision in the best way possible.

Acupuncture may help with the stress.

stephanie said...

Congratulations. It can be hard to take a plunge like that. It sounds like you are really happy with your decision.
(Hope your find the camera.)

Laura said...

Okay now. Look at you, Miss Super Special! I've been saving this post for weeks, waiting until I had time to comment. I am so excited for you and now I see that the Yarn Harlot herself left a comment! That's very cool for you. :)