Thursday, December 14, 2006

Fa La La La La

Hurray for Christmas songs. Thank you for sharing.

Dorothy, I have never heard of Nothing but a Child but I do like Steve Earle. I am going to have to find this song.

Lori, I am a sucker for O Little Town of Bethlehem. I hate it when whoever happens to be leading the music at church deems it necessary to skip verses, though. I like the whole long version.

Charity, I haven't heard What a Merry Christmas Tree either. Is it a Canadian song, maybe? Who sings it?

Cindi, Mary Did You Know is my second favorite Christmas song.

Kim, I can no longer listen to Sleigh Ride without breaking out in a cold sweat. After all my years in band, I have played that song so much it is permanently etched on my brain.

Erin, is Mr. Sandman a Christmas song?

Bonnie, White Christmas certainly makes my top ten list, though it does make me a little sentimental. I am guessing that the odds of a White Christmas in Altoona, PA are significantly higher than in Oakdale, CA. Promise you will post some pictures if you do intend have a white Christmas, ok?

Dr. B, Winter Wonderland gets stuck in my head. I do love this song though. So festive. And who wouldn't love a song that openly celebrates the fact that it is not Summer.

Tactless Wonder, I don't think I have ever heard Soundgarden's version of Ave Maria. I have only ever heard very traditional versions of this song. I'm thinking this one is another one I am going to have to try to find.

Stefaneer, I don't know many French Christmas carols but I am sure the one about "my dear son, my sweeting, lullay, lullay...blah blah" is beautiful. If you happen to discover or remember the title of this song, I would love to know it.

Blogging has really heightened my inner voyeur. I can't explain why it makes me so glad to have ya'll share your Christmas favorites with me but thanks!

As for me, my favorite Christmas song is and always has been Do You Hear What I Hear? I am very fond of the Bing Crosby version but there are several other very worthwhile renditions of this song running around. It is, coincidentally, also my twin sister's favorite Christmas song. I didn't realize that until last year.

I have made it to the second skein of Kureyon (color 95) and row 23 of the (slightly modified) Sophie bag for my niece's Christmas. I have got to go this weekend and get the yarn for the two hedgehogs. I am about 98% certain I will have Sophie done by Saturday. So then the hedgehogs are all that stand between me and successful completion of the must-have portion Christmas knitting. (Please do not remind me of that ridiculous Christmas knitting plan I posted about a month ago. I am trying to think happy thoughts over here.)

Who thinks I can get the hedgehog yarn bought, the hedgehogs knit, felted, dried, stuffed and sewn up by Christmas day? Hedge your bets. (ha!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you can! But I also know what a crazy insane knitter you are!

NeedleTart said...

Sorry about all that White Christmas hope raising and all. Today I taught 1st grade and we went out for recess. In 60 degree weather. In PA. In December fr cryn' out loud1 I remember walking to school in December with the snow over my boots. Global warming? What global warming?

Anonymous said...

The french carol is called the Coventry Carol. It one of my favourites as well. Loreena McKennitt does a goose-bump inducing version of it. You can hear a sample here: http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Garden-Five-Songs-Season/dp/B000002N3H/sr=8-3/qid=1166149864/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-5870151-0816011?ie=UTF8&s=music

Here are the lyrics:
Lullay, Thou little tiny Child,
By, by, lully, lullay.
Lullay, Thou little tiny Child.
By, by, lully, lullay.

O sisters, too, how may we do,
For to preserve this day;
This poor Youngling for whom we sing,
By, by, lully, lullay.

Herod the King, in his raging,
Charged he hath this day;
His men of might, in his own sight,
All children young, to slay.

Then woe is me, poor Child, for Thee,
And ever mourn and say;
For Thy parting, nor say nor sing,
By, by, lully, lullay.

My very favourite Christmas Carol is the Huron Carol. It is not well known, but beautiful and haunting. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huron_Carol)
'Twas in the moon of wintertime when all the birds had fled
That mighty Gitchi Manitou sent angel choirs instead;
Before their light the stars grew dim and wondering hunters heard the hymn,
Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born, in excelsis gloria.

Within a lodge of broken bark the tender babe was found;
A ragged robe of rabbit skin enwrapped his beauty round
But as the hunter braves drew nigh the angel song rang loud and high
Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born, in excelsis gloria.

The earliest moon of wintertime is not so round and fair
As was the ring of glory on the helpless infant there.
The chiefs from far before him knelt with gifts of fox and beaver pelt.
Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born, in excelsis gloria.

O children of the forest free, O seed of Manitou
The holy Child of earth and heaven is born today for you.
Come kneel before the radiant boy who brings you beauty, peace and joy.
Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born, in excelsis gloria.

Charity said...

What a Merry Christmas Tree is by a group called Derek Johnson and the ReGeneration, and is from an acapella album called Christmas in Velvet. We had the record when I was a child, and it went missing several years ago. Last Christmas, I found it on an Acapella music website, and was so happy! I bought a copy for my mum, and one for myself. If you ever see it, there is some really music there. :0)

Anonymous said...

Oops... I guess Mr Sandman is *not* a Christmas song... I guess I always envisioned her singing to a snow man? Mind meets reality...

Ok, favorite Christmas song... I do love Carol of the Bells, even though it got mangled into a terrible version on some commercial that's out right now.

I have to second Stefaneener, Lullay My Liking is a fantastic song if that is the one she meant... although I've always wondered what a mickle melody is

Stefaneener said...

No, actually, it's not the Coventry carol, believe it or not! It's Lullay my Liking, and the version I could find to download is sung by the King's Singers. If I can find the url, I'll send it on. Erin has it right. And I just heard the Huron Carol for the first time this year.