Friday, December 08, 2006

I've Got Sunshine

on a cloudy day.

There is a quote and at the moment I can't remember who said it but it says "God gave us memories so that we might have roses in December." I think maybe that is why he gave us California, too. Back around Halloween (which seems a million months ago) I thought the rose bushes along our front walk were done blooming for this year but I guess not. The red one has yet to be without flowers, including these two, that I photographed on Wednesday.
They won't win any beauty contests but they are mine and I am glad to have them. The purple rosebush is oddly silent, though she is shy even in summer so I guess I am not surprised.

What's a girl to do when she has a knitting blog and her world has been upside down for several weeks and the only knitting she has accomplished is about 12 not-so-photo-worthy rows of a sheep that she has been trying to finish for nearly a month? Show you pictures of the sky, of course. (Don't ya'll get bored with the scenery around here? I'm so thankful that you still stop by and visit even though I haven't been making any great strides in the knitting world - or any great strides period, for that matter.) Without further ado...

Sunset, last Tuesday on the way home from work.

Sunrise (progressively) on Monday morning.

Cloudy Sunrise on the way to work this morning.

I may not have snow (which is still sad to me) but at least we have pretty skies lately. As a general rule, winter in the Central Valley of Northern California means fog and lots of it. I'm sure that is coming but for now, I am glad I've had my camera with me while driving to and from work recently.

My husband is having surgery on Monday to repair three hernias and all I can think of is how nice it will be to have three (hopefully) uninterrupted hours in the waiting room where I can just sit and knit. I haven't told anyone this (well, maybe I told Lori...) but I was certain ya'll would understand. Really, I'm not being selfish, I'm just finding the silver lining. Really.

I wonder what the odds are that I will actually finish even a significant portion of my Christmas knitting in time for Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

I hope your husband's surgery goes well. We are cool with the scenery. After all, come Jan/Feb, I am going to need to see some warm and some colour other than white.

Happy Mama to Three said...

I hope the surgery goes really well. I am so sure it will, hernia surgeries aren't usually too horrible. I really feel more sorry for the fact you will have company the whole time. Maybe the surgeon will give you both some good drugs.

C

NeedleTart said...

Last summer The Husband had his gallbladder out. After we packed his recovery bag, I went through the collection of ufos and picked three or four to keep me busy. Strange? Not at all. Hope all goes well.

Stefaneener said...

Knitting gives you something to do other than worry.

And it must be something in the air! I picked the last 10 or so roses off of our "Honey Perfume" today, before the promised rainstorm. They're lovely.

Your skies would really cheer me up on the way to work, too.

Rositta said...

It's global warming guys, I picked two beautiful yellow roses on Nov. 13th, at that's in Toronto, Canada where last year at this time we had 6 inches of snow. Good luck with the surgery, I'm sure it will be fine.