Wednesday, March 14, 2007

&@#$*%^#

Is there anything quite so frustrating to an evening - or even a stolen hour - of knitting time than a tangled pile of yarn? I've only done it a couple of times - mangled a perfectly good skein of yarn.

Let me back up. A couple of weeks back, I wound up the white hemp and knitted a swatch. I wanted to see how the yarn would feel all knit up and washed. After a good fondling, a trip through the wash, then another good fondling, I ripped out the swatch and tidily (is that even a word? spell check says yes) wound the yarn back into a ball. Only then did it occur to me that I hadn't measured the freakin' stinkin' stupid swatch. Damn. So, tonight I was t-h-i-s c-l-o-s-e to winding the blue Hemp into a ball when it slipped off the swift. (Stupid swift. I hate that thing.) So while there was no swatching or knitting of any kind accomplished at my house today, there was lots of cursing and grouching and heavy sighing. And I still haven't finished untangling the mess I made. Stupid yarn. I hate yarn.

A Stroke of Inspiration

On a lighter note, I think I've made a decision on the baby blanket. It occurred to me while I was playing nurse maid to the Mr. and his migraine tonight. Since I like the hemp and I've pretty much made up my mind to use this for the baby blanket and the decision to go with the baby blanket over the baby sweater was solidified by Mason-Dixon Ann's story about her son David's baby blanket, why not make this baby blanket from a Mason-Dixon Knitting pattern? So that's that: Melanie and Bryan's baby is getting a Moderne (Log Cabin) Baby Blanket it the hippest hemp.

That is, if I ever manage to unmake this mess...Is it unreasonable to just toss the whole ridiculous, stupid, horrible business into the garbage can? I mean really, it is only $10 worth of yarn. I don't even like blue. Stupid, bitchy yarn.


Today's Quote:
(As a reminder to me)

"All that is necessary to break the spell of inertia and frustration is this: Act as if it were impossible to fail. That is the talisman, the formula, the command of right about face which turns us from failure to success." - Dorthea Brande

8 comments:

RC said...

leave it for now.... too many bad vibes.
breath, keep breathing and just go work on something else

I've had this happen (one too many times) and know if you ignore it for long enough, it will be sorry and behave better!

Tactless Wonder said...

Right, and if what RC said doesn't help, find someone good at untying knots (I used to ask my mom to do it) for their help. It's all about not losing your temper, I've untangled almost 400 yards of sock yarn (SOCK YARN) in the past, you can do it!

Dorothy said...

I'm pretty good at untangling stuff (too stubborn to let it win) if I was there, I'd give you a hand.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I feel yer pain. Been there. Such a disappointment to blow perfectly good knitting time on tangles.

Carrie said...

Say, I like today's quote =) Me? I like untangling stuff. It's kinda zenish for me. On the other hand, if I was getting as frustrated as you are, I'd pitch it and spend another ten bucks. Yarn companies need our money, and it just wouldn't be worth the frustration.

Charity said...

The baby blanket sounds wonderful! :0)

Kim said...

I've been there. I've untangled AND I've opted to throw it out and start over fresh...both feel pretty good to tell the truth.

RobynR said...

Mmmmm, kill the yarn. At this point it may not like you as much as you don't like it (I'm a firm believer that yarn is sentient and ocasionally vengeful).
Also, your blog is . . . different! I was rather startled when it came up.