Monday, November 05, 2007

More of the Same

I'm still knitting tiny sweaters, with no other real knitting to speak of.

Finished count: 21
Knitted but not sewn up: 3
On the needles: 2

And I'd like to ask you to pause a moment and consider this: it is only November 5 - a full 3 weeks and 3 days until Thanksgiving. At this point, I am feeling very confident (though cautiously, of course) that I am going to have these babies done in time. I am even starting to think that maybe, just maybe, I won't be knitting on our drive to Oregon on the 21st. There is always the possibility that I will fall off the wagon in the mean time but I am actually not stressing about this project. (For now. Those sounding frighteningly like famous last words...)



An Apple A Day

Might keep the doctor away but, for me at least, only until December 11. That's when my ankle surgery is scheduled. This one is going to be a bit more extensive so I'll have to spend a night or two in the hospital this time around and I am ok with that. I have to weigh a couple of main factors, namely: being at home in my own bed versus IV pain medicine, and in this particularly case, that's not much of a contest.


Yarn Plans


I've been thinking about knitting during this time of not walking (at least four months). I have heard the siren call of the Chevron scarf over at Dr. B's. I have resisted for a long time (ever since I bought the book) but I'm thinking maybe this will be a good project for me.

Or maybe I will finally get my act together and knit up my Briar Rose yarn. I still plan to make myself a Cozy wrap.


I have been waiting patiently for Blue Moon to put out the Raven Series. That happens today. (as of the moment I am typing this, the front page of the website still says they will be up this evening, after 6 pm PST.) Something tells me there will be yarn there that I will love.


Pushing Daisies

Have ya'll seen the new show Pushing Daisies? I hadn't seen it and didn't really have any interest in seeing it until my SIL told me I needed to watch it and that she had saved the episodes on her Tivo for me to come over and watch it. (I love that SIL.)



So after watching the first several episodes all in one evening, there are about 1000 reasons I love this show but I will limit myself to 10. (Because Lord knows, I'm long-winded enough.)

Ten Reasons I love Pushing Daisies:

1. It is funny without being cheesy or overly obvious. Smart funny.


2. The characters are instantly endearing.


3. Emerson Cod. He knits when he is stressed. He has knitted himself a vest and handgun cosies.



4. Olive Snook (Kristin Chenoweth). This chick could easily be an annoying, grating character but she isn't. I particularly love that, as we learn from the Narrator "She feels she has an orchestra in her heart that can only be heard when it is broken and the orchestra 'spills out into the world.' "



5. Speaking of the Narrator - I love the Narrator. This show plays more like an old movie than a new television program and the Narrator has a lot to do with that.



6. The colors. The whole appearance of the show is lush and over-the-top and beautiful. Again, like an old movie. . . one that was filmed in black and white and has been dramatically colorized.

7. This conversation:
Emerson Cod: Sounds like you're a narcoleptic.
Ned: I suffer from sudden and uncontrollable types of deep sleep?!
Emerson Cod: What's the other one?
Ned: Necrophiliac.
Emerson Cod: Words that sound alike get mixed up in my head.
Olive: Me, too. I used to think masturbation meant chewing your food. [awkward silence]
Olive: I don't think that anymore.
(as quoted on IMDB)

8. Olive and Chuck's aunts (Lily and Vivian) sing one of my favorite They Might be Giants songs Birdhouse in Your Soul.

9. Vivian and Lily were the members of a synchronized swimming duo called the Darling Mermaid Darlings, who were forced to disband after Lily lost her right eye while cleaning the cat's litter box.

10. This conversation:
Charlotte (Chuck): Can't we just be here as concerned citizens of the world?
Emerson Cod: No. Big Daddy needs new yarn.
(That one I am quoting from memory so if you saw it and I am misquoting, please tell me.)

Here is the extended preview.





If you haven't seen the preview and/or haven't seen the show, watch this preview but know that the preview doesn't do it justice. You really need to watch the show. Set your tivo, clear your calendar....better yet, go watch a full length episode at abc.com.


Today's Quote:

"Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow." -Abraham Lincoln

6 comments:

RobynR said...

The Pie Hole!

I heart Pushing Daisies.

EnnaVic said...

I don't think we have had Pushing Daisies out here yet but you sure make me want to watch it when it does appear.

You are doing well with those sweaters!

:)

Tactless Wonder said...

Yey Pushing Daisies!!!

I can't remember the exact line either, mostly because I started cracking up when he said it. I love the narrator. He sounds like Jim Dale (I think that's his name) the fellow who reads the Audio-Harry Potter Books.

4 months sans-walking? I am so sorry. May you gain the super-power of fast healing. Keep eating those apples!

marit said...

I'd say tiny sweaters counts for real knitting!
Sorry about your surgery- and 4 months not walking???Ouch! Will you be working during that period(from a wheelchair)? Or does it make for 4 months of quality knitting time?
Cozy looks exactly that: Cozy!!
Have a great day:-)

RC said...

I LOVELOVELOVE Pushing Daisies!
Emerson Rocks his knitting all over that show!

Best line? "you wouldn't need all that bait if your belly were full of fish" said to Olive by JJJ's mean monther.

Anonymous said...

Jim Dale is the narrator for Pushing Daisies. He narrated all of the Harry Potter audio books.

Olive Snook! I just love her -- I especially loved her rendition of "Hopelessly Devoted to You"