Thursday, January 11, 2007

Tidbits

Between now and noon tomorrow, I will post pictures and probably more rambling but for now, a quick list.

1. Thank you for all of your prayers and kind words. Lori went home about 10:30 this morning and is doing well, all things considered. I have a sneaking suspicion she will spent the next 2 or 3 days sleeping.

2. I finished the alpaca hedgehog and plan to felt it this evening. We'll keep our fingers crossed that I remember to take pre-felting pictures. This guy is smaller now than the first two were after felting so I think he will be small and cute. Which is what I was going for so that's good. I've never felted with this particularly yarn before so I am a little nervous. (If my knitting ever gets documented in a television show - a very boring, very strange tv show - then this would be the time for some suspenseful music and a commercial break.)

3. The finished hedgehog means, of course, that I am now allowed to start the tiny sock in the Keychain Sock Blocker Sock that Kim sent me. I have cast on but that's as far as I got before I had to do something else. Hopefully tonight. (Baby steps, I guess.)

4. The Abundance arrived yesterday from Chris. HURRAY!!! It is waiting patiently next to my swift. This skein, true to its name, is quite abundant and I have no idea how I am going to wind it without making it into smaller balls, which, really, may be the best route. I have never had this much yarn in one glorious, continuous strand. So lovely. I'll post a picture of it tonight and I'll tell you then what I am contemplating doing with it for the knitalong. At least, what I think I am thinking about doing with it. Now that I have the yarn in hand, I'm not sure that what I have in mind is what it really wants to be...

5. I need something simple to knit on during the hour and a half I will be sitting around at the hospital tomorrow before my surgery. There is always a fairly good chance that they will give me something "to help me relax" and I won't be capable of following a pattern. Waiting for the last surgery, I worked on a baby washcloth. I'm thinking I'd rather not repeat this ill-fated knitting. I have signed up to knit a hat or two for Kate's project for the Children's Hospital of Boston but I haven't gotten the fun fur yet. If I have time to stop at the yarn shop on the way home tonight, I might cast on for this tomorrow because really, a fun fur hat knit in the round ranks pretty low on the knitting-that-requires-thinking scale.

I think that is it. I've had a lot of coffee this morning and it is cold in my office. These two factors come together to make me blather on even more than usual. Ahh, well.

Pictures tonight. Oh, and an update on some simple knitting for tomorrow. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Today's Quote:

"Keep fighting for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was." -Lillian Carter (mother of former President, Jimmy Carter)

2 comments:

RC said...

HOw about another dish cloth type of thing? the pattern for grandmother's favorite is easy and you get a good dishcloth.... OR JUST START KNITTING THE FRIGGIN SOCKS. cast on 60, k1 p1 around for 15 rows swithch to knit around...

I'm just going to bully and nag till you get this monkey off your back.....
luv u.
prayers tomorrow...

Happy Mama to Three said...

Hang in there Baby Sister. You know you are at the top of my prayer list right by the FFC and my little princess. We may have to make a shop at a good knitting store on our way back from San Fransisco if you might be interested. I think The Princess is so excited to be home, we could skip the gifts, almost.

This surgery and L's surgery better be it for a while. The Princess has to have her jaw done and her braces, but those are a month off or so. Now you get better. And when you are better or just bored, you can come spend the day and teach me to create some for me.

I love you Cricket Lee!