Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Joy of Christmas

I'm home and still in one, recently modified, piece.

Ankle

It has now been two weeks since my surgery. I spent the first 8 days in the hospital. Overall, they took great care of me and, as much as I love being home, I was glad to stay there and let them take care of me. There is a lot to be said for IV pain medicine and that orange nurse call button. So, first week there, second week home. I did basically the same thing both weeks: slept, took my meds, drank a lot of water. Yesterday I went to the doctor to have my stitches and staples removed (16 and 6, respectively) and to have my cast changed. The new cast is glow-in-the-dark. Umm. This is the highlight of the news from my corner of the world. (ha)

Thank you all for your emails and your kind words.
.
Knitting

I've been doing some knitting, mostly simple little bits and pieces that lend themselves to dozing off in the middle. Last week, I got yarn in the mail. Always a good thing. I got new yarn from the one and only fabulous Susie. Two skeins of something secret (I'll show you eventually) and this beautiful skein in her colorway November 15. This yarn is (likely) going to one day become hunting socks for my husband.)


Susie (generous, kind soul that she is) also sent me this bag of mini/scrap skeins of her hand dyed yarns, for me to use for tiny socks. (See those above? Those are her yarns.) Thanks again, Susie!!


Christmas
.
Christmas was wonderful here. We were all together (my parents, the siblings/spouses, and the children) and that in and of itself was fabulous. I received so many great gifts and enjoyed so much delicious food. My sister bought me a skein of beautiful handspun alpaca (which I haven't taken a picture of yet) and a cute little sheep finger puppet.
.
Remember I told you about my brother-in-law, Jeff? Well, Jeff occassionally reads this little blog and apparently he has been paying attention because look what showed up in my Christmas goodies: The Loopy Ewe kit I had been longing for! When we got home from my parents, I immediatley sat down and started trying my luck at needle felting. The legs are sort of hard and I am sort of sleepy but here is my progress so far.


So, that's it. Now I think I'll sleep some more.


Today's Quote:

"The earth has grown old with its burden of care
But at Christmas it always is young,
The heart of the jewel burns lustrous and fair
And its soul full of music breaks the air,
When the song of angels is sung."

-Phillips Brooks

15 comments:

RC said...

wow! fun stuff! but I'm a might bit concerned with you needle felting under the infulence, ya know? could be hurty to your fingers... be careful

Deb said...

glad to hear you are feeling better Kristy! Your little socks are gorgeous but then so is everything that I have seen you do. I am working on a sock (gasp! yes I finally succumbed). Am about to start the heel flap and I am dying to see how that turns out so catch ya later. Take care.

entoto said...

Yippy! The sheep kit, I cannot wait to see how this turns out. I *love* your little socks. They look perfect for a dozy, drowsy, knitting thing.

And I am so glad you feel well enough to post. I missed you.

Kim said...

So happy you are doing better. Yarn helps...a lot. Your felted sheep looks fabulous. Keep mending and Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how cute those little socks are! And even under the influence of healing from surgery you can knit heels and kitchner toes...I'm in awe.

Thanks for all the sweet things you say...makes my day!

Enjoy the healing time. Will you have to do physical therapy soon?

Happy New Year, m'dear.

~hugs~

EnnaVic said...

Hi :)

Your Christmas sounds great. That Loopy Ewe kit is very sweet - and the socks are darling :)

Happy New Year for next week :)

Anonymous said...

oh wow! I do hope your recovery is a quick one.
That Susie, she's a good one isn't she?
I found your blog on Cathy’s (tightly wound~loosely knit) list of Comforting Jenn knitters. Cathy isn’t doing to well, and would like to do something for her. Without giving to much away, can you please email me? You wouldn’t be committing to anything. Thanks so much.
Mistress_stash_enhancer@yahoo.com

EnnaVic said...

Hi Kristy,

You've been quiet for quite a while now. This is just to let you know I am thinking of you and hope things are ok :)

Cheery bye :)

marit said...

I thought I had commented on this post- apparently I went straight down with the `flu, and justkeep reading it over and over...! How are you doing? I hope your ancle is mending allright.
The socks are great, and the little sheep is too cute!
Take care.

daaydream said...

Miss you!

marit said...

Hi, there's an award for you over at my blog:-)

Deb said...

Kristyyyyy, where are you? We miss you, both here in blogland and at Hooks & Needles. Hope everything is going okay even though I am sure progress is slower than you would like it to be. Can I pick you up for Girls Night Out soon?

Charity said...

Hey, Kristy, I've been thinking about you, just thought I'd pop in and say hello... I hope you're doing well! :0)

anita said...

Kristy, Have not seen you ? Why not? We miss you down at the yarn shop. Call the shop for a ride, we want you to come out and play !!! WE MISS YOU !!

Susanne said...

I have tried to find an email addy for you but to no avail. I wanted to write to you as I won your "embarassing stories" contest a while back and you graciously included some hand made soaps in your package to me. They are wonderful!! I can't tell you how wonderful my skin feels after using them in my shower/bath!!
Just wanted to let you know and also to ask if everything is ok? You have been absent for a while from your blog.
drop me a line
Susanne scheusie@shaw.ca