My first attempt at the toe-up sock was enlightening. I learned the following:
1. I like a less pointy toe than I was getting before.
2. I want a snugger (is that a word?) fit for my socks than I was getting.
3. While I am a process knitter, that doesn't mean I want to intentionally and/or knowingly make socks that won't fit me - or maybe anybody.
4. I love - love! - that yarn.
5. There is no reason to torture myself by knitting an all knew technique (toe-up socks) with a yarn that is such a tiny gauge. (10.5 stitches per inch.)
6. Charity and RC are excellent knitting support group members. At this point, I am not sure who is whose sponsor.
7. There are so many excellent resources on the internet and in books for knitting socks toe-up. I have absolutely no doubt that I will be able to do this. (This is a bold statement for me.)
So rather than torturing myself any further or wasting a yarn I adore on socks that I know won't be what I want, I decided to rip that sock out and start again with a different yarn. Many moons ago, I won a contest Susie had and I've decided to make a second attempt with one of her beautiful creations. This yarn is 400 yards of 100% merino superwash in the Am I Blue colorway. It is very soft, a bit thicker and knits at a much more manageable first-time-for-toe-ups gauge of 6.5 stitches per inch (when I swatched), 7 stitches per inch on these first two inches worth of knitting the sock. (I am not too worried about the precision, as I am confident they will be a nice fit. I am using 56 stitches for the foot, which is where I am knitting now.)
Here we are at the beginning of a new week, with a new sock to knit.