Monday, January 01, 2007

Scarf Pattern, Freely Given

Way back in August, I signed up for the third installment of the International Scarf Exchange. As you may recall, I ended up knitting a black and blue scarf from Misti Alpaca Pima Cotton Silk for Kim for the International Scarf Exchange. I've been meaning to post the pattern but kept getting sidetracked (and sidetracked from my sidetracks...) but I promised Kim I'd post the pattern. (Technically, I told her I would get it posted in 2006 but it looks like the first post of 2007 is going to have to suffice.)

The scarf is based on a slightly modified version of the August 22 stitch pattern in this calendar. The stitch pattern is called Woven Cables in Relief and the scarf is called So Am I. The scarf got its name because, while it was being knit, Kim was going through major jaw surgery and thus, both Kim and the scarf were black and blue on the day they met. Luckily, only the scarf remains so.

The Woven Cables in Relief stitch pattern is as follows:

Multiple of 15+2


Row 1 (Right Side): Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K1, cable 10 front, *K5, cable 10 front, rep from * to last 6 stitches, K6
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: Knit
Row 6: Purl
Row 7: Knit
Row 8: Purl
Row 9: K6, cable 10 back, *K5, cable 10 back, rep from * to last stitch, K1
Row 10: Purl
Row 11: Knit
Row 12: Purl


[Cable 10 front (or back): Slip the next 5 stitches onto a cable needle and hold at the front (or back) of your work, knit the next 5 stitches from the left-hand needle; then knit the 5 stitches from the cable needle.]

So Am I Scarf
So Am I (SAI) stitch pattern


Multiple of 12+2

Row 1 (Right Side): Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K1, cable 8 front, *K4, cable 8 front, rep from * to last 5 stitches, K5
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: Knit
Row 6: Purl
Row 7: Knit
Row 8: Purl
Row 9: K5, cable 8 back, *K4, cable 8 back, rep from * to last stitch, K1
Row 10: Purl
Row 11: Knit
Row 12: Purl


[Cable 8 front (or back): Slip the next 4 stitches onto a cable needle and hold at the front (or back) of your work, knit the next 4 stitches from the left-hand needle; then knit the 4 stitches from the cable needle.]

Instructions for Knitting Kim's So Am I Scarf:


This scarf is knit in two halves and joined at the center so that the pattern is right-side-up on both sides when worn.

Cast on 38 stitches. (This will be three repeats of the So Am I stitch pattern, plus 2.)

Knit 17 repeats of the SAI stitch pattern. Place all stitches on stitch marker.

Cast on 38 stitches.

Knit 17 repeats of the SAI stitch pattern. Using a kitchener stitch, join the two halves.

Pin (not so tightly as to stretch out the pattern) to blocking board or similar and steam block with your favorite method, as appropriate to your yarn.

Specs:

Yarn: Two (2) skeins, Misti Alpaca Pima Cotton Silk (191 yards per skein)
[Note on Yarn: This stitch pattern eats up the yarn quicker than you can imagine. If you make this scarf and decide to substitute yarn, don't skimp on yardage.]
Gauge: 4 stitches per inch in stockinette on Size 8 needles
Needles: Size 8 (US)
Finished Size:
Pre-Blocking: 4" wide by 68" long
Post-Blocking: 5" wide by 73" long


A Note on Cabling


I am by no means an expert on cables. This pattern is so easy flowing and comfortably repetitive, I got tired of using a cable needle after about 2 repeats. I learned to cable without a needle from Wendy at this link. It really is easy and (for me, at least) takes the tedium out of cabling.

There you have it! Please let me know if you have any questions or if you find any mistakes.

Wishing you all a wonderful, happy and blessed 2007. Happy Knitting!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I just received this calendar for Christmas! Yippee. I think I will put this pattern in my que and make one as a gift for someone, I hope to do it justice. I love So Am I and wear it all of the time.

Dr. B. said...

Happy New Year to you and yours, Kristy!

Wishing you a year full of GOOD HEALTH and happiness.

Here's to a crafty 2007!